To start a TSA chapter, all that is needed is a motivated technology teacher and an eager group of students. An expensive collection of high-tech equipment is not necessary! Educators who sponsor TSA chapters provide a special opportunity for students.
If you are interested in starting your own NJ TSA Chapter, please contact Rebecca Turner at 609-771-3336 or email@example.com.
TSA offers three curriculum- integrated membership programs. Each chapter chooses the program that works best for them.
Red Chapter Affiliation Program (Red CAP)
A chapter affiliates up to ten members by paying a flat fee (additional members may be added during the year for a fee). The membership fee for Red CAP is $100 at the national level plus state dues.
White Chapter Affiliation Program (White CAP)
A chapter affiliates eleven or more members by paying a per member White CAP fee for state and national dues. The membership fee for White CAP is $10 per member at the national level plus state dues.
Blue Chapter Affiliation Program (Blue CAP)
A chapter affiliates an unlimited number of members in a school for a flat fee (typically effective when there are more than 25 members). This option is popular in chapters where students rotate through a STEM class for a portion of the year to enable all students to be members. The membership fee for Blue CAP is $350 at the national level plus state dues.
Ten Member Minimum Policy
In 2007 the ten members per chapter minimum policy was implemented to:
1) Provide a variety of improved services and resources for members. These include on-line affiliation and conference registration, website updates and maintenance, Total TSA CD Rom resource, and the development and maintenance of the competitive event program. Chapters need to have a minimum of ten members based upon the value of all services and resources provided for National TSA to financially “break even.”
2) Promote leadership opportunities. Instituting the ten member minimum policy helps insure that TSA chapters provide a well-rounded program for their members. Ideally, TSA chapters should offer leadership and committee opportunities to plan related activities and service projects, as well as prepare for a variety of competitive events. Ten members provide enough chapter members to elect officers and form committees.
3) Strength TSA state delegations. Ten members insures that there will be more state delegation members participating at state conferences, more state officer candidates, and more members to share the responsibility of managing the state delegation. State departments of education will value stronger TSA participation through more chapter members within the local education agencies.
If a chapter does not meet the ten members per chapter requirement, affiliation can still take place by paying the fee for ten members. Chapters with fewer than ten members can then undertake a recruitment campaign to encourage other students to be a part of TSA and then complete their roster at a later date. The TSA, Inc. Board of Directors will review the policy annually.
Affiliation with the National TSA Office now takes place ONLINE. You may renew your membership, or start a new chapter, by:
- Going to the TSA website, www.tsaweb.org
- Click on “Join TSA”
- Submit your school’s information
If you have any questions or need assistance please email Leanne Guido at the National Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.